Wednesday, September 29, 2010

the great purge!

Today Josh and I picked up the remainder of a large bike donation from Clarkston. It took two trips but it was worth it to get the bikes out of someone's back yard, as promised, and we got some more bikes are parts for the shop.

I then feverishly gathered every rusted wheel, every bent fork, and every road-unworthy bicycle and dragged them outside. I called a local scrap collector and he gladly carted away several hundred pounds of useless bike parts to be melted down or whatever a metal scrapper does. We now have a lot more room for decent bike parts and a lot of stuff was saved from being buried with trash.

(photo to be uploaded later)

I spent some time on the phone with some auto tire shops to see about recycling tires. Why recycling and environmentalism are not primary goals of Communicycle, we try to reuse and recycle everything we can. pounds of rubber, nylon, and metal in bicycle tires add up quickly in the dumpster. I got the number of a rubber recycling company and I await a call back. Most auto shops charge one to two dollars for each tire to recycle it, so I am hoping some company will do it for free or for a nominal charge. Any ideas folks?

Two guys from a nearby apartment complex came in later in the evening. Miguel and Jason had a very nice mid-1980s Japanese road bike with some problems. I trued the rear wheel, replaced the tubes, and replaced the Look pedals (requires special shoes and cleats to use, which Jason did not have) and got him back on the road. Jason gave me a nice donation to the shop for the work and parts and I was glad to help him.

We may have an event announcement coming soon, so stay tuned!

Jonathan

No comments:

Post a Comment