Monday, November 14, 2011

Thirty Cents

"Where can I make a donation?" The question emerged from Jasmine, a smily second grader with dark skin and pigtails, and a regular shop participant at the Clarkston Co-op.

I gave my stock response, explaining that she can give her donation to me and making a promise that it would get into the program's bank account.

Thrilled, she reached out to me and emptied the contents of her fist into my open palm.

One quarter and one nickel.

My heart caught in my throat. This donation may not have been the biggest our program has ever received, but I believe it to be the most significant. Our youth participants often hand over a few dollars spotted from their parents in exchange for new tubes and cables, but rarely if ever do we see our young friends reach into their own pockets in order to help sustain their neighborhood bicycle shop.

Jasmine could have given the quarter, or even the nickel for that matter. But she chose to give everything she had. May we all learn to be so generous.

No comments:

Post a Comment